Saint émilion grand cru
Bernard Magrez purchased Château Fombrauge in 1999 and is the present owner. The estate covers 58 hectares (143 acres) of vines located to the east of Saint-Emilion.
33330 SAINT CHRISTOPHE DES BARDES
+33 (0) 5 57 24 77 12
The estate was constituted by Jacques de Canolle after the One Hundred Years War, which ended in 1543 with the Battle of Castillon, just a few kilometres away. The name of the estate is derived from “fons brogier”, meaning a spring surrounded by heather and bushes.
In this year, Marie Anne de Canolle de Lescours brought the estate as a dowry in her marriage to Jacques Dumas. A sundial dating from 1679 is displayed in the Château’s courtyard.
A new lease of life was given to Fombrauge, thanks to the efforts of Alain Bygodt and his son Charles, who carried out one of the first modernisations of traditional cellars in Saint Emilion.
The Bygodt family sold the estate, and Fombrauge was to become the pride and joy of a Danish wine merchant house by the name of Hans Just in Copenhagen.
Bernard Magrez, the owner of Château Pape Clément, founder and former Managing Director of the Bordeaux company William Pitters, purchased the estate and brought it new impetus. Quality at Château Fombrauge was now taken to the highest levels, and one of the greatest wines in Saint-Emilion was produced.
90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc
Clay-limestone and Fronsac molasse.
58 hectares (143 acres)