Saint émilion grand cru
Château Laroque, with its mighty 12th century tower, is an imposing feature in the area. Located on a plateau of limestone rock, from which the estate took its name, this outstanding site appears as a defensive stronghold watching over Saint Emilion.
33330 SAINT CHRISTOPHE DES BARDES
+33 (0)5 57 24 77 28
See the map
The Beaumartin family
The origins of Château Laroque date back to the 12th century when Eleanor, the Duchess of Aquitaine, was firstly Queen of France, then Queen of England. All that remains here of those feudal times is an imposing tower with its moat, built on a lofty rocky plateau to protect the Saint-Émilion town.
Laroque has journeyed through centuries, from the golden feudal age to the present day, once a stronghold, now a Grand Cru Classé.
While its initial vocation wasn’t viticultural, the estate was “quickly converted due to its outstanding geological features, conducive not only to vine-growing but also to the production of high quality wines
The 19th century was one of splendour. The development carried out on the property under the impetus of the owners in the period from 1743 (first the Marquis de Lavie then the Count of Rochefort), is testimony to the high renown gained by the wines of Laroque.
From the day they purchased the estate in 1935, the Beaumartin family felt a profound attachment to Laroque, its vineyard and its landscape.
After the vineyard was restructured in the 1960s, Xavier Beaumartin took over the management of the estate in 2004. In 2018, he handed over the running to his nephew, Stanislas Droin.
To conduct a new project aimed at achieving the highest levels of excellence, the Beaumartin family called on David Suire in 2015 to build a new team around him to carry out this work.
In their commitment to this project, the family has demonstrated its deep attachment to the place and its ambition to further enhance the success of Laroque over the long-term.
88% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon
Plateau made up of red and chestnut-coloured clay over asteria limestone, east-facing terraces and west-facing slopes of very chalky fine blueish clay.
61 hectares (151 acres)