Saint émilion grand cru
750… 1821… 1842… 2020… Laniote -the cradle of Saint … Emilion!
See the map
Arnaud de la Filolie
Château Laniote is one of the oldest family-run estates in Saint-Emilion. Acquired in 1821 by Pierre Lacoste, a Saint-Emilion wine merchant, it was handed down to his daughter and successively from mother to daughter for 5 generations.
The children of Arnaud and Florence de la Filolie represent the 9th generation. The family has been lucky enough to own in the village centre since 1842 L’Ermitage du Saint, La Chapelle de la Trinité and a part of the Catacombs.
Emilion was in fact a monk who arrived from Vannes in Brittany in the year 750. He dug a hermitage in the middle of vines and, as his saintly reputation spread, the whole of the village developed around him.
The vineyard covers 5 hectares (12 acres) and is located 900 metres to the north-west of the village of Saint-Emilion planted on soils containing asteria limestone rock covered with clay. The vineyard is lavished with meticulous care: ploughings, de-budding, crop thinning, double de-leafing, hand-harvesting and sorting of the fruit.
Merlot 80%, Cabernet Franc 15% and Cabernet Sauvignon 5%. The average age of the vines is 36 years.
Clay-limestone soils over an asteria limestone subsoil.
5 hectares (12 acres)