La Tour Figeac
Saint émilion grand cru
Since the Roman era, the famous gravel soils of Saint-Emilion (Graves de Saint-Emilion), a special area of land on which Château La Tour Figeac is located, have been dedicated to vine-growing.
1 LIEU DIT LA TOUR FIGEAC
33330 SAINT EMILION
See the map
The Rettenmaier family
Château La Tour Figeac’s creation dates back to 1879, when it was separated from Château Figeac. A tower, which once existed in its vines, gave it its name. It is situated between Figeac to the south, Cheval Blanc to the east, and is bordered by Pomerol to the west.
As from the first classification of the wines of Saint-Emilion, the Château was ranked Grand Cru Classé. This confirmed both the quality of its terroir and that of its wines.
The Rettenmaier family, having once been industrialists in Germany, took over the destiny of the Château. Since 1994, Otto Max Rettenmaier, advised by the consultancy team of Stéphane Derenoncourt, has managed the estate.
Since 1997 the estate’s vineyard management has been largely based on organic farming practices which, far from boiling down to a strict application of philosophical principles, focuses to a large extent on observation, monitoring and the application of good farming sense.
Start of the process of acquiring organic farming certification for the whole of the estate
65% Merlot and 35% Cabernet Franc
Gravel and ancient sands over a deep layer of clay
14.6 hectares (36 acres)