Château La Couspaude
 

In the Middle Ages, La Couspaude was called "La Croix Paute " (= the Paute cross). This name came from the cross which is close to its western entrance which is one of the many crosses which mark the path followed by pilgrims on their way to Compostella. In fact the monolithic church in Saint-Emilion was an important stop on their route.
La Croix Paute was part of the lordship of Condat and Barbanne. Originally it belonged to the King of England who was also the Duke of Aquitaine. At the end of the Hundred Years War it became the property of the King of France.
During the 16th and 17th centuries La Croix Paute was run by the Jurade in Libourne. Until this date there is no proof of vines being on the estate.
In 1739, for the first time, a deed of sale proves the existence of a vineyard at La Croix Paute. Then from the 18th and 19th centuries the estate was continually sold and resold. In 1908 Jean-Prosper Robin, the owner of Château Sansonnet bought the neighbouring estate, La Couspaude, and immediately passed it on to his son André-Marcel. In 1963, André-Marcel’s daughter, Edith Robin, inherited the vineyard With the help of her husband Etienne Aubert, who came from a family who had been winegrowers for over 200 years, and later with their children, Alain, Daniel and Jean-Claude, she began a new chapter in the story of Château La Couspaude.
Today, the three brothers and their children perpetuate the family history.

  History  
The vineyard  
The vinification  
Also  
Contact  
     

L’abus d’alcool est dangereux pour la santé, à consommer avec modération